Callum Beaumont from Bo’ness, Scotland was the winner tonight at the 2021 Donald MacDonald Cuach. Callum, pictured, played Donald MacDonald’s setting of Cumha Mhic a h-Arasaig (MacKintosh’s Lament).
The competition was held online for the first time in the event’s 35 years with the five pipers playing from their respective homes.
The judge was Dr. Jack Taylor with Dr. Angus MacDonald acting as fear an tighe. One of his pupils, Archie MacLean from Edinbane in the north of Skye entertained the global audience prior to the results being announced.
Dr Jack Taylor said: “The five pipers chose tunes of different melody and attractivess and these added to the difficulty in choosing a winner.”
The other four competitors and their tunes were:
- Stuart Liddell – Moladh Morag (In Praise of Morag)
- Callum Beaumont – Cumha Mhic a h-Arasaig (MacKintosh’s Lament)
- Andrew Hayes – Piobaireachd Cheann Deise (The Earl of Ross’s March)
- Finlay Johnston – Cumha an Aona Mhic (The Lament for the only Son)
- Glenn Brown – Failt a Bhodaich (The Duke of Argyll’s Salute)
The competition is sponsored by the Clan Donald Lands Trust.