The 2019 Captain John A. MacLellan MBE Memorial Dinner recital competition will be held once again at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in Edinburgh. The date is Saturday, August 24. Tickets will be available from June 1 but can be pre-ordered now from Tina Anderson at firstname.lastname@example.org
The four leading pipers who will each play one of MacLellan’s tunes are:
• Glenn Brown – The Edinburgh Piobaireachd
• P.M. Ben Duncan – Salute to the Great Pipe
• Bruce Gandy – For My Lass, Fair Pretty and Highland
• Angus MacColl – The Phantom Piper of Corrieyairack*
Tom Speirs will be the judge.
The event is supported by the William Grant Foundation.
*Some of MacLellan’s tunes are becoming staples of pipers’ repertoires these days. His 1969 composition, The Phantom Piper of Corrieyairack – which was the winning entry in a College of Piping/Saltire Award competition – has been a Set Tune on a number of occasions.
• In the June 2005 Piping Times, Lt. Col. David Murray wrote an excellent article on the tune – ‘Montrose’s Footsteps: The Phantom Piper of Corrieyairack’ – which can be read, below: