This Saturday’s Glenfiddich Invitational Solo Piping Championship will once again be streamed live over the internet.
The stream will be live from 09:45 on Saturday morning at www.thepipingcentre.co.uk/livestream.
While the stream itself is free, donations are encouraged, with all money raised going to the Scottish Pipers’ Association (SPA), currently in its centenary year. The SPA organises three major competitions each year and holds its Knockout series every two years.
The event was first broadcast over the internet in 2013 and has been a huge success with thousands tuning in around the globe at various times during the day.
This year’s competitors, and how they qualified, are:
- Callum Beaumont, Linlithgow, Scotland – Clasp winner at 2019 Northern Meeting; overall champion at the 2018 London Competition
- Glenn Brown, Ontario and Glasgow – 2018 Bratach Gorm winner
- Andrew Hayes, Ottawa – 2019 Argyllshire Gathering Gold Medal winner
- Finlay Johnston, Glasgow – 2018 Glenfiddich Championship winner
- Jack Lee, Surrey, British Columbia – second in the Northern Meeting Clasp
- Stuart Liddell, Inveraray, Scotland – winner of the 2019 Masters Championship, 2019 Argyllshire Gathering Senior Piobaireachd and 2019 Northern Meeting Silver Star
- Gordon McCready, Paisley, Scotland – winner of the 2019 Argyllshire Gathering Former Winners MSR
- Connor Sinclair, Crieff, Scotland – 2019 Northern Meeting Gold Medal
- Iain Speirs, Edinburgh – second prize at the 2019 Argyllshire Gathering Senior Piobaireachd
- Niall Stewart, Kyle of Lochalsh, Scotland – second prize at the 2019 Northern Meeting Silver Star MSR
Ceòl Mòr – Patricia Henderson, Colin MacLellan and Stuart Samson.
March, Strathspey & Reel – Murray Henderson, Dr Angus MacDonald and John Wilson.
Fear an Tighe – Gary West.
The Glenfiddich, formerly the Grant’s Gathering, has been held at Blair Castle since its inception in 1974. Willie McCallum remains the piper with the most titles: eight. The Grant connection is maintained through even sponsor, the William Grant Foundation who also sponsor other piping events including Piping Live!, the Captain John MacLellan Memorial Medal and the Scottish Piping Society of London’s annual solo piping competition.