Pitlochry Highland Games is offering a prize of £500 to the winner of their tune writing competition. The new tune is to mark the 170 year anniversary of the Games in 2022, with this year’s event being held on September 10.
The composition is to be of at least four parts in any time signature. The entries will be judged by a world class panel of judges.
The closing date for entry is April 30 and terms and conditions are below. The entry form can be found on the Pitlochry Highland Games website here.
PITLOCHRY HIGHLAND GAMES (PHG) PIPE TUNE COMPOSITION COMPETITION RULES, T&Cs
- The purpose of the competition is to create an original tune to commemorate the 170th Anniversary of the Pitlochry Highland Games (PHG) in 2022.
- The title of the composition is at the discretion of the composer, but it would be preferred if it reflected the ethos of PHG. A tune subtitle of A Tribute to Pitlochry Highland Games may be included at the discretion of the composer. Footnotes of the tunes meaning is encouraged.
- The composition is to be a pipe tune, of any time signature, consisting of at least 4 parts.
- The entry form and composition must be sent together in the same email to firstname.lastname@example.org or posted to:
The Old Steading
- Composers of all abilities will be considered.
- The submitted composition should not have been previously published.
- All submitted entries will be jointly adjudicated by the nominated judging panel.
- All entries will be anonymous; compositions will be put before the judging panel without the composer’s details.
- Any clear evidence of plagiarism with material already published will result in disqualification from the competition.
- The judging panel’s decision on the winning entry is final.
- By entering the competition, the composer agrees to allow their composition to be compiled for the PHG archive. This compilation may be available to reference in the future for non profit.
- There is no entry fee.
- There is no limit on the number of compositions submitted by one composer.
- One £500 cash prize will be awarded to the winner.
- Closing date for entries is midnight on April 30, 2022.
- The winner will be announced no later than one month prior to the PHG 2022.
- The winning composition will be played by the composer, or nominated piper, at the 2022 PHG.
- For more info email: email@example.com